Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Green beans


Today is the 4th of July, Phil and I are off and we decided to grill some steaks :) he did the grilling and I made the sides. And I made some yummy green beans.

So, when I first met Phil I wasn't into cooking. I cooked & baked every once in a while. I didn't hate it, I actually enjoyed it. Until we moved in together I got into cooking and pretty much taught myself along the way. And I must say I'm pretty proud of the cook I have become :) My point is.. I have actually grown a better knowledge over time on food enough to where I can replicate a recipe or specific item and it will taste great or even better. In my opinion. 

When Philip and I first met he liked the canned green beans! (UGH!) It's what he grew up on, and what I grew up on. I secretly hated them but we had no choice but to eat them because that was our vegetable!! I did cook them every once in a while. Over the past few years I have totally tossed all canned veggies and use all fresh vegetables now.. I don't even do steamers anymore because ..ew they are microwaved and the nutrition of the vegetable is killed in that 30 seconds or whatever the time may be. PLEASE don't think I'm a snob LOL We all have our beliefs and ways of doing things. Mine have changed over time. :) 
 

These will be the best green beans you've ever had. They are healthy and have the same texture of the ones from the can! Really soft. AND I know everything that is going in them :) Not some ingredients I cant read off the can!!!


Things you will need:

1 1/2 cup of fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 3's
2 cloves of fresh minced garlic
about less then half of a white onion thinly sliced
2 T of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 cup chicken broth (low sodium)
salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste

Get all your stuff cut up. 

Saute the onion and garlic until onion is soft on med low heat. Don't burn the garlic.



Place your green beans in the pan then pour your chicken broth. Season with Salt & Pepper


Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 30 minutes on low. The trick is for soft green beans is to simmer for 30 minutes. If you like the crunch of green beans then simmer for about 15-20 minutes or to your taste



And they are done. :) Now you tell me Fresh or Can ?! 


No comments:

Post a Comment